Cicatriz ESP (12:29)
Album: De-Loused in the Comatorium (60:59)
Release Date: June 2, 2003
Produced By: Rick Rubin, Omar Rodriguez-Lopez
Recorded: 2002 - 2003 at The Mansion, Los Angeles
Label: Gold Standard Labs, Universal, StrummerView all shows featuring this song
- Final version recorded at The Mansion with producer Rick Rubin for Deloused in the Comatorium.
- Additional guitar and synthesizer treatment by John Frusciante.
- A demo was recorded with Blake in 2001, titled "Cicatrix" at the time.
- In 2001, featured an extended dub-style bridge that contained elements which would later appear in Free Moral Agents' song "Talk Show Host" from the album Everybody's Favorite Weapon. This jam is often mistaken as a demo called "Caught in the Sun."
- Elements of the jam that appeared in the studio version began appearing in early 2002.
- In early 2003 marks the only time in the band's history when the jam followed closely to the studio version.
- On May 21, 2003 was performed as an encore with John Frusciante. This was the first time John Frusciante joined The Mars Volta on stage, and the only time, to date, that he has played on the track Cicatriz live.
- Starting in July 2003, elements of what would later become Cassandra Gemini were played.
- In the Fall of 2003 until the end of the Deloused tour, jams were at their most varied and lengthiest, clocking in anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes in total.
- Brought back in Spring 2007 for Thomas Pridgen's first tour. The curtailed jam included elements from previous performances of Cicatriz, Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt and Drunkship of Lanterns.
- Re-introduced in 2009 with drummer Dave Elitch.
- Contains some elements of Omar's solo song "The Palpitations Form A Limit" from A Manual Dexterity.
Lyrics for Cicatriz ESPDo you recall its name? As it suggested beck and call, this face and heel.
Will drag your halo through the mud, ash of pompei.
Erupting in a statues dust, shrouded in veils, because these handcuffs hurt too much.
Still scalping this ticketless applause. And when they drag the lake there's nothing left at all.
Sutured, contusion..beyond the anthills of the dawning of this plague.
I've lost my way. Even if this cul de sac would pay.
To reach inside a vault, whatever be the cost.
Sterling clear blackened ice, and when they drag the lake there's nothing left at all.
I've defected........I've defected.....I've defected.
This is my last incision...the stitches have defected. Beyond the anthills of the dawning of this plague.
I've lost my way, even if this cul de sac did pay....beyond the anthills of..I've lost my way.
Even if you reach inside a vault, whatever be the cost
Sterling clear blackened ice. And when they drag they lake there's nothing left at all.
I've defected..... I've defected......