Vicarious Atonement (7:19)
Album: Amputechture (76:04)
Release Date: September 12, 2006
Produced By: Omar Rodriguez-Lopez
Recorded: November 2005 - May 2006 in Los Angeles, El Paso, & Melbourne
Label: Gold Standard Labs, Universal, StrummerView all shows featuring this song
- Released as a promotional item to radio stations and the music press.
- Has never been played in its studio form live, and remains one of two Amputechture songs (the other being El Ciervo Vulnerado) that has yet to debut.
- The roots of the song can be heard as far back as guitar ambiance played before Drunkship of Lanterns during the Deloused in the Comatorium tour.
- This riff was elaborated and eventually transposed to the beginning of Cygnus... Vismund Cygnus starting with the Frances the Mute tour, and then periodically before Vermicide during the Amputechture tour.
- A similar motif can be heard in the score of The Burning Plain.
- The bassline at the end of the song is the same as that at the beginning of proceeding song Tetragrammaton.
Lyrics for Vicarious Atonementdon't you pretend
that i'm not alive
my bones never ache
unless she's nearby
where is your face
in a safe of dead tongues
i can see your reflection
in your totem first born
you've been carrying a pack of wolves
not killing you while i had the chance
maybe i will always haunt you
mark the somnolence with truth
better hang your dead palace
than have a living home to lose
in the river ganges god damns my name
don't let these hands
sharpen your eyes
a rasp of tails